Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Anatomy of a Trench Coat - a knol by Grant Harris

The Anatomy of a Trench Coat - a knol by Grant Harris

I remember my first trench coat.

Freshman in college, San Jose State. Free from family and making my way, I bought a trench coat, with a belt for rainy days in the bay area. Some would say I felt european aire and not at all like the rest of the students. I remember a guy saying I looked Russian, not meaning a compliment, I took it as one anyway.
A coat and knee boots made a complete outfit, no need to worry about the rest your wardrobe when its covered by a coat. That was my Aunties advice. Auntie Freda was a spicey old lady who had a collection of coats not a one was a trench coat, but all had the label "Bullocks".

Red black green blue and brown all packed into the front closet. All but her favorite brown coat, which she had ready for an outing. Auntie was a vivacious laughing woman with an uneasy childhood. She grew up on the edge of Chinatown in LA. Family memories of her sisters going to bullocks to copy designs to make at home. Our family was very hi fashion even if we/she was from the other side of the tracks.

Her mother Julia has a treadle singer in the dining room. We all made our clothes, 4 generations. A visit to Julias house you will see the machine sitting in the window of the dning room, sewing ready.

My favorite coat at the moment is an army green wool floor length no belt.
A coat is a home away from home. Usefull for many emergencies. I use my coat as a blanket, when traveling. A coat coveres a miriad of costuming errors.

My second favorite coat is an dark green hermes leather coat nearly 30 ys old and still good wearing. A great love bought that one for me. I had it relined a few years ago. The great love has passed to another............ Great for the rain. Thank god I bought large sizes 30 yrs ago. It still fits. Buy em big, for the layers event. Active wear shouldnt bind.

Nothing binding is a good rule

No comments: